What are you doing Thursday night? If you’re anywhere near Central Virginia, I’m inviting you to a back porch chat with five authors – all of whom care passionately for strong girls who read. This is a relaxed night for girls, parents, librarians, and teachers to talk about how books help girls make sense of the world. We’ll look at strong girls and the lessons we’ve learned along the way about raising them, loving them, and writing for them.
If you’ve had a chance to visit Girls of Summer, you know we’ve been posting new Q & A’s with the fantastic authors who grace our list. Now, it’s time to meet some of them in person. Please help us welcome:
- Steve Watkins, What Comes After
- Valerie O Patterson, The Other Side of Blue
- Rebecca Lauren, poet, women’s studies professor, and author of In the Fifth Grade Locker Room
- (special guest) Kaylan Adair, editor at Candlewick Press
- And of course, your hosts Gigi Amateau and me.
To sweeten the pot, we’re raffling off a complete set of the 18 titles on the Girls of Summer reading list. Feeling lucky?
See you then!
JRW Writing Show
July 28, 6:30 pm, Children’s Museum of Richmond
Tickets $10 in advance at www.jamesriverwriters.org